Monday, August 27, 2012

Bedtime... what's that?

Haha in the words of Jim Gaffigan, children often ask, "Bed time? What's that? No.. I don't wanna do that!"

Tonight, as I started putting my kiddos to bed, I couldn't help but laugh as I heard the words of my favorite comedian go through my head. It's true - every SINGLE night my children seem confused about bed time. It's as if they have never heard of it before. They act hurt and betrayed that I would cast such a punishment on them!

As mothers I know that we are all counting down the minutes to bed time and celebrating in our minds... fantasizing about what we are going to be able to do when they're sleeping! Ooooo I can do so many things! I can DO THE LAUNDRY or wash some dishes OR... EAT DINNER!!!! Oh wait - that doesn't sound fun either... but at least I won't have little ones pulling at my dress as I'm pulling out my hair!

Isn't it true, though?

I have set up a schedule to get my kids to bed - children like and thrive off of routines. I guess when I'm tired and distracted, though, I'm kind of setting myself up for trouble. Tonight was one of those nights where I was just hoping that they would go to sleep without requiring me to linger in the hallways. Perhaps it's because I have three girls (2, 4, and 4) in the same room... but I kinda hate bed time when I don't have the energy.

If Hannah isn't jumping on the bed, crashing into Leah, or Lily isn't flipping off the bed and getting stuck on the floor with her legs flailing over her head (yep... happened tonight) then I don't know what bed time is! Thank goodness my six year old, Jake, actually understands consequences to the point of making a good decision and staying in his room. Hannah - the two year old - doesn't think too much about it and it's all downhill from there... she and the twins go nuts every night and throw a little party in their room.

Tonight I had to separate all three of the girls. I left Leah in her bed, had Hannah lie down on the couch in the family room with me, and made Lily go lie down on the bed in the playroom. It took me an hour and a half tonight to get them to sleep! Every time I thought they were asleep I'd hear someone laugh - or cry - and sat there in disbelief. Come on, girls! It's ok to give in and sleep! It's no wonder that, on nights like this, once they're in bed I really don't wanna do the dishes or any laundry... I am SO drained that I just wanna lie back and watch some tv and relax or something! I was way too tired to work out tonight :-/

Lily was telling me, just before I sent her back to her room (she had probably been in the playroom for a half hour) that she liked sleeping in there so she could read and "learn how to sleep." lol four year olds... She happened to forget, however, when she somehow landed on the floor with her legs over her head. I asked her if the book taught her how to sleep the wrong way. I was just too tired to be upset anymore - I laughed :)

On the days when they are cooperative I've noticed that I:
  • Tell them ahead of time to get ready and don't rush them
  • Keep it as calm and stress free as possible
  • Read or sing a few songs to them
  • Pray with them
  • Turn the lights off and give consequences for actions ahead of time
I guess throwing them in bed and running doesn't work... They're not gonna stick!

Oh and how convenient for this post! Apparently their dreams aren't helping tonight! I hear someone rustling around, whimpering. It's ok... I'll go look in the playroom for a book to teach me how to have good dreams ;)

2 comments:

  1. A trick I used to use at the preschool I used to work at and different babysitting and nanny jobs...Play Sleeping Tiger. If you haven't heard of it, basically its just trying to get the child to stay as still as possible which will eventually make them fall asleep. Has worked a majority of the time...some kids know what I'm trying to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love that idea! I think I'll try it with mine :)

      Delete

A walk through the park...

A walk through the park...
My beautiful family of 7