Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tear me in half, please!!!!!

Well here it is - my kids are all sick... AGAIN! The other night I took my second youngest (2) upstairs with me because she was just starting the feel under the weather (and everyone else was still healthy at this point). I have had the policy that whoever is sick can sleep in bed with me so I can take care of them.

Well... by the time it was a few hours into her lying next to me, I noticed that she was sounding really bad. Almost sounded like croup for a moment there (don't think it is, though, cuz she no longer sounded like a seal barking, past that night) and I started worrying...

I CANNOT allow my baby (almost 4 months) to get sick. He's the one with the heart problem, and if he gets sick - ESPECIALLY with something respiratory related - he could come down with pneumonia which is very life-threatening to him.

I started crying as I realized that I was going to have to take Hannah, my sweet, sick little baby, downstairs and out of the same room as my infant :( All I wanted to do was hug and cuddle her, give her comfort, and make her feel better. I'm mommy - that's my job! But I couldn't... I had to make the decision that it was more critical for me to protect my baby boy from being exposed to the illness.

"TEAR ME IN HALF, PLEASE!!!!" I was crying to my husband on the phone (he's a night worker)... I wanted to keep my son safe but also be able to take care of my little sickling...

Do you ever feel like this?

Mommies seem to be called to multiple places and to do many things at once... and we are DARN good at it. But it breaks our hearts when we simply cannot do everything at the same time.

I came to peace with my decision and fell asleep praying for protection over Micah and to make Hannah feel better. I prayed that this bug would pass quickly...

My other three (Jacob 6, Leah and Lily 4) all have it now, but so far little boy seems alright. A little sniffly here and there... but his lungs sound clear so far.

Oh the balancing acts that us mothers of multiple children must perform!

And as I look for comfort, I remember that "this, too, shall pass!"

Hannah and Micah last week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

A walk through the park...

A walk through the park...
My beautiful family of 7